Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cookbook Review: The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches by Susan Russo

Pound Cake Sandwich
Scented strawberries. Their sweet smell wafting on the humid Florida breeze signals the unofficial dawn of the summer.

With summer also comes dips in the pool and burgers on the grill. My favorite burger recipe still remains the Apple & Gruyere Turkey Burger with Sage Mayo by Susan Russo, aka Food Blogga. She was one of the very first food bloggers I ever discovered, and she was coincidentally the first food blogger to follow me on Twitter. I was dumbfounded at the time. Susan Russo following my little Twitter feed.


Although she's far beyond my capacities, it has also been exciting to see her grow as well these past few years and how many people have been introduced to her amazing recipes. She's released two cookbooks in a very short time span, and both are equally fun and helpful, which is not something I usually brag on cookbooks as being. Susan's first cookbooks, Recipes Every Man Should Know, co-authored by Brett Cohen, is a straight-to-the-point, witty, and useful guide to beginning cooks who want to master the basics on a delicious level. And her second cookbook, The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches, by Quirk Books, is the most useful and salivating cookbook I have yet come across.

Although I may be a self-labeled connoisseur of food, my fiancé has but one food group: sandwiches. Her new cookbook brought tears of joy to my eyes as I flipped through its crisp pages at all the dozens of new "meals" I could make to please such a picky palate.


To bring attention to my new fortune, I chose an unusual recipe to begin: Pound Cake Sandwiches. If I had chosen a more savory route, it could have disguised itself as a "regular" and not brought forth a yearning for recipe experimentation (plus, I just like sweets and I'm usually the one doing the cooking). Once my usual pound cake was baked and the smell lingering in the air, he soon ventures forth for a bite. This time, however, he discovered me slicing, buttering, and laying each piece on the hot griddle. Confused at first over whether or not my pound cake was thoroughly cooked, I assured him it was scrumptious, but we were instead having sandwiches - pound cake sandwiches. He watched my swift work and saw how quickly they came together. I handed him his plate and we each took a huge bite to begin. For something so simple, it's an impressive and luscious dessert sandwich. It reminds me of Southern short cake, only more mature. This is the perfect dessert of the summer.

We will easily be making quick work of Susan's other recipes and finding new favorites to enjoy many times over. You'll learn not only new recipes, but enjoy her witty humor and learn a little food history along the way. I highly encourage you to not only snag one for yourself, but grab another to give as a gift since it has universal appeal. Your taste buds will thank you.

Quirk Books provided a free copy of the cookbook without any obligation for review, nor was any other form of compensation received/exchanged.

13 comments:

  1. Yum, this one is pretty unusual, don't think I've ever seen a pound cake sandwich! But definitely will be trying to make one soon! Can you imagine a Nutella Pound Cake Sandwich? HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds amazing! I love both pound cake AND strawberries, but never in a million years would have thought to make a sandwich out of the two! Genius =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pound cakes sandwich!! I am there! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I had so much fun reviewing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pound cake sandwiches? Be still my heart. (No, really... anything as decadent as pound cake fried in butter is probably a heart attack waiting to happen, but my oh my, what a way to go!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you for that delightful and thoughtful review, Brie! Your fiance is not alone; I know many men who also eat from one food group: sandwiches. So if my book can make his meals tastier, I'm thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I have a soft spot for sandwiches, as lunch is my favorite meal of the day. Fun post! I am so glad to see you posting again, I have missed yoU! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Yummmm.... I love sandwiches and thanks for popping over to my blog. much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading your review of Susan's book. It has been sitting on my desk for too long and I can't wait to dive into it now that I've been inspired by your post. Visually it's such a fun (and inspiring) book. Sigh. So many great cookbooks...so little time. But this one is getting bumped to the top of the pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading your review of Susan's book, lunch is also my favorite meal of the day. thank you for that delightful and thoughtful review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Realy i looooveeeeeeeee this this great ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, that's right. This is the new blob, i like it too. But i have one more want to show you all: 바카라사이트

    ReplyDelete