Monday, November 8, 2010

Juicing - Day 1

Raise your hand if you love juice!

I love juicing foods. My fiancé bought me a juicer as a gift a few years ago and I love creating my own concoctions of vegetable and fruit drinks every so often. Sometimes food tastes so good, I can't waste time chewing.

However, I also use juicing when I'm not feeling well - which would be today. I ate something wacky a few weeks ago (which I still cannot figure out what it could have been) and decided to drink juice for a few days to reset my digestive system. I have been eating well, but still just haven't felt like myself. The last time I drank juice, or had a juice fast, was several years ago, so this is not something I do often. I should also caveat that this is not to lose weight or do anything hokey. This is more or less to give my digestive system a break. I had great success the last time, and thus far today I'm feeling much better already.

I thought sharing some new juice drinks I discovered in case anyone else likes juicing would be fun, and maybe you can share your own juicing tips as well.

Also, I blanch my greens in hot water on the stove until they are completely wilted to rid them of any antioxidants. All the other foods are fine to eat raw, but the greens can actually be counterintuitive without blanching them.

Breakfast: 8 oz filtered water with 1/2 juiced lemon
                   Great Eliminator

Lunch: Powerade

Snack: 8 oz Green tea with 1/2 juiced lemon

Dinner: Nut Milk

The Great Eliminator tasted like carrots and ginger, which wasn't bad, but the Powderade was a bit much for me. Too many competing flavors and the ginger was stronger than the first juice. Neither really impressed compared to my regular rotation of juices. The Nut Milk was decent, but also not impressive. It was surprisingly not sweet at all, which disappointed my wicked sweet tooth. Tomorrow brings some new juices, so hopefully they're more tasty - either way, I still feel better which is my goal.


Great Eliminator
2 small beets (ends cut off & washed well)
1 medium cucumber (ends cut off & washed well)
1/2 head Romaine lettuce (blanched)
10 skinny carrots (ends cut off & washed well)
1" fresh ginger (washed well)

Cut all vegetables into pieces that will fit through a juicer. Juice all ingredients together and enjoy.


 
Powerade
7 kale leaves (washed & blanched)
1 lemon (washed)
2 small beets (ends cut off & washed well)
1/2 medium cucumber (end cut off & washed well)
4 medium celery stalks (washed well)
1" fresh ginger (washed well)
raw honey, to taste

Cut all vegetables into pieces that will fit through a juicer. Juice all ingredients together, add raw honey to taste, and enjoy.

 

Nut Milk
1/2 cup raw cashews
2 cups filtered water
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 tsp raw honey
sea salt, pinch

Soak the raw cashews in 1 cup filtered water and 1/2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar for 12 hours (start in the morning). Drain the water and add the cashews to a blender. Next add all other items to the blender (ice cubes are optional to chill and thicken). Liquefy and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, nut milk! Sounds great. Especially with a pinch of sea salt! I'm not a big fan of vegetable juices (or maybe I just can't make them well!), but I love carrot juice :)

    ReplyDelete