Friday, September 11, 2009

True Blood Martini

Oh, True Blood. How I love thee.

I have become quite infatuated with this show, and have been suffering withdraw all week - and the season finale hasn't even aired yet! I love the mystery and sexuality involved in the series. I usually enjoy vampire tales of the Romantic era, but this modern version has me enamored as well. Plus I currently live in the South, so I probably spend a little too much time daydreaming on what could be lurking in the woods...

The characters have evolved from the first season, so catching new quirks and rhythms between the actors is another level of enjoyment. Bill's old world charm is a great appeal and Eric's witty humor provides amusing moments. Sookie's strength is refreshing for a lead female character, while Tara is lost from caring for her mother for so long. Sam has great compassion and Jason may need attention and other's approval, but he has a soft spot for those whom he loves. I've even taken a liking to some of the new characters. Jessica's innocence and Maryann's mysteriousness throw interesting twists into the story.

In honor of True Blood, I have created a martini to savor while watching. I needed something dark and delicious to match the show, which is why I choose açaí & pomegranate juice. Both have tartness, but açaí is slightly sweeter and brings balance to the martini. I used my mortar and pestle to grind turbinado sugar into a powder for this drink, but you can purchase superfine sugar or use simple syrup as a substitute. I also keep my alcohol of choice in the freezer, so no need to shake or stir the ingredients in a separate glass before drinking- unless you'd like to impress someone, then by all means partake in some showmanship.

True Blood Martini

1 tsp ground turbinado
2 ounces Smirnoff vodka
1 ounce Grand Marnier orange liqueur
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
3 ounces açaí & pomegranate juice by Bom Dia

In a martini glass, combine ingredients in the above order. Enjoy with True Blood.

~Original by Brie.

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely love True Blood too!!!! I'm totally team Sam, all the way. I wish I had all these ingredients in my kitchen, because I would definitely make this yummy drink. Can't wait to watch the finale (I have to watch it online tomorrow since I don't have HBO)! Here's to hoping they figure out how to axe Maryanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Sam, but I'm old school, so Team Bill for me. Once you see the finale we'll have to discuss - it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my hubby's show, and he would love that drink, I am not a vodka drinker, but it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! You'll have to let me know what he thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True Blood, yes I am hooked on that one too, now it's over for the season...I think I'll like the martini mixture. Will try it out, I have vodka, but not Grand Marnier though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'm still suffering withdrawl. I'll just have to think up a new drink for my fall shows. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't drink, but I love true blood! Love Sookie and Bill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, too! I'll have to make a non-alcoholic version for you before next season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh it IS a good show, isn't it? :) Love this recipe, I will definitely have to try it! I recently featured some True Blood inspired weddings/style posts on my blog if you'd like to stop by to check it out - (www.itsajaimething.com)! ;)

    Cheers - here's to Season 3!!! Too bad it doesn't air until June 2010, eh? ;)

    -Jaim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it's going to be a long wait, but the series is worth it. Loved your vintage wedding post on True Blood, too!

    ReplyDelete