Monday, August 3, 2009

Quincy, est. 1824

Although I haven't whipped up anything in the kitchen lately, I've still gotten my hands on some tasty treats. Guy & I have been doing a bit of sightseeing around some tiny towns in the Panhandle. I first have to share my favorite photo from our daytrip.


Since I wasn't driving, I was able to turn around and peer down each little alley and made him stop the car when I saw this mural. I jumped out and ran to the corner of the street and snapped away; it was too beautiful to pass by. Although my photo is small, it took up the whole side of a vacant building downtown.

A quick search revealed the town built a bottling plant at the turn of the 20th century, which resulted in quite a few local families amassing fortunes from stock. I wonder what other secrets this tiny town holds...


The day was so calm and the little town of Quincy was so quiet, even on the town square, this bench was just calling to me. The courthouse was stately and I daydreamed of simpler times. It reminded me of the Monticello courthouse.


The old fashion city brought to mind a soup shop in Tallahassee that has an old world charm - Soup Swift. I have been there a few times, and each time their food gets better and better. I've had the corn chowder, two types of carrot soups, tomato soup, potato soup, and a chicken soup. I've also tried a salmon salad and a turkey sandwich with a pistachio crust. I'm probably missing one or two. They change their menu daily, which I love. They hand pick all ingredients and slowly simmer their soups to bring out the peak flavors. The quality of their food is visible in every dish I've tried. This is a shop where they truly put a little love in each meal.


I usually get my food to-go, but the shop is so inviting. They even offer you a free drink while you wait for your food. And they have a choice of a buttery white roll or a hearty wheat slice with your soup. They have the most delicious, melt-in-your-mouth croissants and chewy cookies. They even fold the napkin into a little holder for the spoon. I love the fact no small detail has been overlooked into taking care of their customers.


I had been hesitant to try the Lemon Chicken soup because it has English peas as the only vegetable, which I've never been a big fan of. The peas are neutral to me as long as it's a small part of a meal, but I am still unable to eat a big scoop of them. I was feeling adventurous so I decided to give it a try - plus it had a little cream and cilantro which I love in anything.


Ok, now what I'm about to tell you may be hard to read, but you must know. The Lemon Chicken soup is beyond soup. It has entered a realm no soup has ever gone before. This soup is the elixir of life - the fountain of youth of soups.


Look at it. So innocent. So modest. You'd never know what power this soup beholds on looks alone. The smell is what catches your curiosity first. The richness of the broth and citrus notes make you want to take a small sip and see what's inside. The medieval flavors that mingle in the broth must hold the cure for any ailment. I have no idea what they have put in this soup, but I swear next time I get ill, this is all I'm eating for a cure. After eating this soup, I have such an energy I've never felt before from food alone. I am still amazed and so grateful I tried it - and I wasn't even bothered by the peas; they were a lovely accompaniment (which is something I've never said before regarding peas).

This soup shop is a diamond in the rough of local eateries and I beg of you to try it.

Soup Swift on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment