Saturday, July 17, 2010

Native American Frybread Taco


It's the International Incident Party - Tacos hosted by Jeroxie!

This is my first time participating in an IIP and I decided to share another Native American recipe which fits perfectly.

Native Americans have long enjoyed frybread, which is their version of the taco. It is a celebrated dish at many gatherings for different tribes, and can even be turned into a dessert. It is normally prepared with lard and then the different taco ingredients are layered on top. I also chose to use venison which is an original meat enjoyed by tribes, but bison would pair nicely as well. Venison is a mellow flavored meat, but slightly tougher than beef. I enjoy venison and bison, which are lean and high in protein and healthy fats.


Native American Frybread Taco
Frybread

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water
Lard or peanut oil for frying (1" deep)


Mix together the dry ingredients and then add the water, mixing with a fork. Flour your hands well and continue to mix the dough, adding flour if needed to make it not stick to your hands. Tear into three equal pieces and rotate into a ball. Add the oil to a deep pan and put on high heat, at least 350*F. Then stretch the dough into flat pieces between 5" to 7" around. Add to the hot oil and release away from you. Allow to cook up to 1 min per side until the frybread is a light brown. Use tongs to flip the frybread and remove from the oil.

Taco

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb. ground venison
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
shredded cabbage
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 can black beans
2 fresh corn ears
salsa
sour cream
shredded cheese

In a large skillet, add the olive oil and bring to medium-high heat. Add venison and cook for 10 min making sure all pieces are fully cooked. Add the spices at the end and stir together. Add on top of frybread, then layer all ingredients as desired.

~Yields 3 frybread tacos.

~Adapted from Navajo recipes.

I hope you enjoy this frybread soon, and be sure to view all the other IIP creations as well!

18 comments:

  1. So cool! I had my first Navajo fry bread taco today at a Native American festival and it was so awesome. (I am a pig and had both flour and blue corn versions!) I love, love, love your inspiration for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also make fried taco bread!! So yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is super cool since I recently had my first one, now I know how its made, love this Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enamoured with fry bread now. Beautiful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buffalo would have been an awesome addition but i think venison would be easier for most people to find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try your version of the taco. Looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to IIP. I assure you a whale of a time every party. Great version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, another delicious fried bread recipe. Hmm....I think I must try to make some too. Thanks for sharing this cooking method.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fry bread...one of the best things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your frybread taco, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had fry bread or venison but I'd love to give them both a try :) Especially if they look and sound this good together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tacos sound interesting and yummy. I've never had the fry bread but all sorts of ideas of different recipes came to mind. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, that's it. I give up. The universe is calling and I MUST make some fry bread pronto!! It is one of my favorite things ever, but I haven't made it in a couple years (shame). Your tacos sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also did a fried bread...so yummy. I guess great minds think alike hehe. Great version you did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandfather would make us Fried Bread when we'd go back home (to Louisiana) to visit him. Several years ago when I learned about Fry Bread I realized that's what it really was--my great-great-grandmother (I wish I knew what tribe she was from) was Native American.

    We always ate it with sugar or cane syrup--never thought to make it into a taco!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so tasty! I might have to start making these instead of the normal taco!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderfully tasty...The flat bread id superb, love this:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I work at a school ffor 0-5 year olds and am looking for appropreate recipies for our Native American week can anyone help we need for breakfast lunch and snack this taco is great thank you!!!! miinniiee@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete